Saturday, 17 June 2017

Stamping on Fabric

I love fabric. I really enjoy making bags etc but sometimes I just want a certain look and I can't find the 'perfect' fabric to purchase. Frustrating?
Well, yes, it can be very frustrating but there is a way that you can create your own printed fabric by using your water based Stampin' Up! inks and stamps! With 50 FABULOUS ink colours to choose from and a huge range of stamps you can get very creative with your fabric.




In the samples I have used a plain calico look cotton and also a bonded curtain lining. Both accepted the inks well but I found the bonded curtain lining gave a smoother finish at the end of the project. I then cut them to the size I wanted and then I laminated the fabric using a product from Vilene called Lamiflex which comes with a gloss or a matt finish. I used matt. This seals the fabric, and therefore the inked images, and creates a wipe clean fabric! I used a plain, thin white shower curtain which I purchased from Sainsbury as lining fabric so the inside is also wipeable.

It is a very easy process as these photographs show. First of all stamp your fabric and allow the ink a little time to ensure that it is completely dry before taking it to your ironing board. Cut Lamiflex slightly larger than the fabric piece and place it with the adhesive side down on the printed side of the fabric - if you cut it to exactly the right size and it wrinkles or moves you may end up with a little fabric untreated. You will be able to tell the right side of the Lamiflex as it feels slightly smoother. If you have a piece with a printed selvedge the red text is the right side. The manufacturers instructions say to use a warm, dry iron on setting 2 over a press cloth for eight seconds. Do not iron, PRESS! You don't want to cause wrinkles. However, if when you lift the press cloth you discover bubbles simply press again and they should disappear. Allow the fabric to cool before moving it to your cutting board and trimming away the excess Lamiflex.





Now you are ready to construct your project and I show you here how easy it is to make a pouch.

Lay your printed fabric right side up and place your zip on the top but facing down (so the zip pull is down) then place the lining fabric over the top of the zip. Align the raw edges of fabric, zip and lining at the top edge. Stitch.


Pull the fabric and lining aside to expose the other edge of the zip and repeat the process.


Now separate the fabric and lining, so you have the fabric right sides together, lining right sides together. Open the zip making sure the pull is within the actual pouch area. Manipulate the zip tapes at the sides so that they lay towards the lining pieces. Sew around all four sides, reinforcing your stitches over the zip by stitching over a couple of times and then leave a gap on the lower edge of the lining (I have marked the lining with a pen). You will turn the pouch through the gap later. Trim the corners taking great care to get close to the stitches without snipping them!


Put your hand in through the gap you left in the stitches. Grab a corner and pull it through the opening in your lining. Repeat for the other corners. Use a smooth rounded object such as your bone folder to poke the corners out as neatly as possible. Close up the lining, following the machine stitched seam as a guide with either with hand or machine stitching or if you prefer, since this pouch is wipe clean only and cannot be washed, use your Stampin' Up! Tear and Tape Adhesive strip. You will need to press pouch again, and I suggest that you stuff the item with something soft especially if you have used an unbonded fabric such as the calico as when I turned my pouch right sides out at the end of construction it was very creased. Using bonded fabric will lesson the creasing caused by turning and will create a more sumptuous end product. I am in the process of making up a bag to show you using the bonded fabric and I shall add that to this blog when it is finished.

If you are interested in any of the products I used for this project you will find a link below.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog. I hope that you come back again soon!

Linda

Product List









3 comments:

  1. Like I say - you are a proper little genius. Love your project xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very nice thing for someone of your caliber to say to little ol' me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this but the only Lamiflex I can find doesn't look like the right stuff. It may be a UK/USA difference, but maybe you meant Lamifix?

    ReplyDelete